A modular, expandable, IP-based radio system from Calrec Audio. Type R uses standard networking hardware and soft panels which can be tailored to operator needs. With just three hardware panels to create multiple system types, make Type R the building blocks for your station.
Fader panels are small, sleek and simple, with six faders and immediate access to essential controls. Fader panels can be added or removed as simply as plugging or unplugging an Ethernet cable, creating a radio infrastructure that is easily expandable, and making upgrades quick and simple.
Large Soft Panel (LSP)
Type R touch-screen soft panels are designed around simple and colourful control elements and can easily be customised as multi-function panels. This functionality can be quickly changed from show-to-show using simple memory loads and can be tailored to fit the needs of the talent.
Small Soft Panel (SSP)
Soft panels can be utilised in either landscape or portrait formats and used to provide adaptable and specific functionality for talent, while ensuring overall control is maintained by the station technical team. Both LSP and SSP panels can be added with a single Ethernet connection.
Dedicated IP backbone
Type R has a simple 2U core with integrated I/O resources to get customers up and running immediately. With a native IP backbone, Type R provides an infrastructure for future expansion with all the requisite power, function and scalability to ensure stations keep pace with changing demands.
Broadcast-specific control is clear and concise across the system. Bussing, including the creation of mix-minus feeds, is quick to assign, while EQ and dynamics control is clear and fast. Type R provides simple customisation across established networks, open control protocols and surface personalisation.
Adaptive and flexible
Type R is a thoroughly modern and customer focused radio broadcast system that adapts to a station’s needs as its requirements evolve. It provides simple customisation across established networks, open control protocols and surface personalisation.
Type R feature videos - free online training
Type R is a modular, expandable, IP-based radio system from Calrec Audio. It utilises standard networking hardware and soft panels which can be tailored to operator needs.
With a simple 2U core with integrated I/O resources, a single core can power up to three independent mixing environments. Whether used as independent studio consoles, microphone processors or utility mixing, the ability to use multiple mixing engines combined with the flexibility of the AES67 compatible network, provide all the power you will ever need.
Contact us to book a demo.
The rise of streaming services and increased competition for the attention of listeners is forcing the radio market to look for innovative ways to engage with their audiences. Modern radio stations are finding that they need to operate in a multitude of ways to connect with different target audiences.
For both traditional and streaming stations to effectively compete in this evolving marketplace a product is needed that allows not only the broadcaster, but the individual presenter to present the show how they want to. With over 50 years of broadcast experience, that’s where Calrec Audio comes into play. Calrec has always worked closely with customers and end-users to define their exact needs. During the development of Type R in 2016, we visited countless radio stations and spoke to many engineers and radio specialists to study their workflows.
The result of our research and development is Type R, a radio product designed for any radio station, anywhere across the globe.
The widespread acceptance of open IP standards provides an opportunity to create a very stable and flexible backbone that can be used across multiple radio sites. This industry shift has been instrumental in the design of Type R, with AES67 compatible audio transport and panel connectivity utilizing power over COTS POE+ switches. Type R is equipped to meet the future demands of the AoIP environment, including NMOS discovery and control as well as utilizing a facility’s existing IP infrastructure.
The main challenge was to create a product that could be moulded into a solution that would work for many workflows – from small simple solutions to large complex networks. It became apparent that in radio, like television, every station works in a different way. On top of that, things can be very different from show to show. We wanted to design something that could work in a variety of hugely complex environments yet be simple and easy to use.
We overcame that by designing a product that is highly configurable and modular, so it can be tailored to the requirements of the station and the talent. Once the soft panels and user-definable elements have been configured the simple GUI means that operating Type R is very easy. Different set-ups can be loaded quickly between shows, so everyone can feel comfortable operating it. This is a key difference between Type R and its competitors. The soft panels can be laid out to present just what the operator wants to see down to the individual control level.
This radio system is a modern and customer focused radio broadcast console that adapts to a station’s needs as its requirements evolve, and provides simple customization across networks, control protocols and surface personalization. Type R guarantees stations are not only able to keep pace with changing demands but provides the opportunity to ignite their audiences with new and innovative programming.
- Up to 48 physical faders on one surface
- Full size 100mm faders
- External Talkback microphone
- 2 x stereo headphone outputs (1/4” TRS jack) I/O boxes
- Multiple sample rates; operates at 44.1, 48 and 96kHz. All DSP facilities available at all sample rates.
- Between 18 and 60 input channels per console
- Up to 3 x (mono, stereo or 5.1) main outputs
- Up to 8 x (mono, stereo or 5.1) groups
- Up to 16 (mono or stereo) aux outputs
- De-esser on all channels
- Expander/gate/ducker a with sidechain EQ on all channels and groups
- Automixer on every mono channel and group
- Compressor/Limiter on all direct outputs & mix minus outputs
- 1 x assignable direct output per channel/group
- 1 x assignable mix minus output per channel/group
- 1 x insert sends & return per channel/group/aux/main (mono, stereo or 5.1)
- Dedicated monitor inserts available to console LS, studio 1 LS and misc LS
- 2 x stereo mix minus buses
- 1 x off-air stereo conference bus
- 48 x external monitor/meter inputs
- Unlimited VCA groups
- 4 band full Parametric EQ + LF & HF filters with 12 or 24dB/octave slopes on every channel, group, aux and main
- 5.4s Input Delay per Channel from a pool of 48 delay blocks
- 5.4s Path Delay for every path from a pool of 48 delay blocks
- 5.4s Output Delay per Output including Direct Outputs from a pool of 48 delay blocks
- AoIP connectivity, including redundant connectivity for all I/O boxes
- Integral 512² router
- Up to 256 audio channels per AoIP port
- 2U Core provides 4 x AES input ports, 4 x AES output ports, 8 x channels of analogue mic/line input with 48v phantom power indication, 8 x channels of analogue line level output, 12 x GPI, 12 x GPO ports and 2 x stereo headphone outputs, with optional redundant AoIP boards
- 1U Combination I/O unit provides 4 x AES input ports, 4 x AES output ports, 8 x channels of analogue mic/line input with 48v phantom power indication, 8 x channels of analogue line level output, 6 x GPI, 6 x GPO ports and 2 x stereo headphone outputs, with optional redundant AoIP boards
- 1U Analogue I/O unit which provides 16 x channels of analogue mic/line input with 48v phantom power indication, 16 x channels of analogue line level output, 6 x GPI and 6 x GPO ports
- 1U Digital AES I/O unit which provides 8 x AES input ports with SRC indication, 8 x AES output ports, 6 x GPI and 6 x GPO ports